Banking Services in Papua New Guinea
There are four commercial banks operating in Papua New Guinea. They are Bank South Pacific, Australian & New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ), Westpac Bank and May Bank.
Opening hours: 8.45am to 3pm from Monday to Thursday and from 8.45am to 4pm on Friday. A branch of Bank South Pacific is open for business at Port Moresby’s International Airport for currency exchange at arrival and departure times of all international flights.
ATMs & Eftpos
ATMs are located in major towns and cities. Eftpos is found in major hotels, shops, restaurants and many other locations.
Major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners & JCB) and traveller’s cheques are accepted at most leading hotels, restaurants and travel agencies.
Exchange rates (subject to change) for major currencies:
- Western Union – Located at major Bank South Pacific branches.
- Travelex – Located at major ANZ branches.
- Telegraphic transfer – Remittance via the bank account of the same bank.
- Salim Moni Kwik (SMK) – Same day domestic money transfer by Post PNG
- Australia: AUD 0.4000
- USA: USD 0.2906
- Europe: Euro EUR 0.3000
- Canada: CAD 0.4373
- Japan: JPY 33.10
- New Zealand: NZD 0.4600
- Great Britain: GBP 0.2006