Samoa Fact Sheet
The Samoa Hotels Association has an office in the STA Tourism Fale on Beach Road, Apia. The SHA Team provides advice on accommodation providers, tour operators and attractions in Samoa. They also book accommodation direct and have a database with information and photos of all member properties in Samoa. For more information, you can phone 30160 or visit www.samoa-hotels.ws
Airlines, Airport Bus and Ferries
For full details, see Upolu - Getting Around in the printed guide.
For all car rental, please visit our transport guide for Samoa
Upolu: Faleolo International Airport (APW) is located 35km west of Apia on Upolu.
Savaii: Maota Airport (MXS) is located 10 minutes drive south of Salelologa on Savaii.
Clubs and Organisations
|Monthly Average Temperatures
Apia Bowling Club, ph 22 254
- Apia Hash House Harriers, ph 750 0767 email@example.com
- Apia Yacht Club, ph 21 313 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faleata Golf Course, ph 23 964 email@example.com
- Fale Falani (French Association), ph 31 578, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rotaract Club ph:770 2238 email@example.com
- Rotary Clubs, ph 42 055/42 014 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Royal Samoa Country Club, ph 20 120, email@example.com
- Samoa Chamber of Commerce, ph 31 090 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Samoa Red Cross Society, ph 23 686 email@example.com
- Samoa Rugby Union, ph 24 986 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Samoa Touch Association, ph 777 4475 email@example.com
- Samoa Web Ambassadors Progr. 22 777 firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications - Phone Provider
- Bluesky Samoa on Beach Road offers the following services: Post Office, Mobile Phone Shop and Customer Enquiries. Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm; Saturday,8am–12pm.
- Digicel sells SIMs and specialises in low international rates. They have several outlets available, including the Westpac counter at the Falelolo Airport and Aggie Grey’s Hotel, as well as directly from Digicel.
- Please note that pay phones are located outside the Bluesky Samoa Building and various locations in the town area and rural areas. You can use a phone card to make local and overseas calls. Contact Bluesky Samoa phone (685) 67 723 and Digicel, phone (685) 842 8003 email email@example.com
- Cellular Phone Center, ph 28 899/772 8764 firstname.lastname@example.org
- CellCity 21956 email@example.com
- Comp-Tech, ph 26 612
- Digicel Samoa Limited, 842 8003 firstname.lastname@example.org
- DY Brown Store, ph 750 0711
- Go Mobile, Matafele, ph 29 133
- HJF Electronics, Motootua, ph 20 261 email@example.com
- HJF Electronics, Matafele, ph 30 478
- HJF Electronics, Fugalei, ph 25 316
- HJF Electronis, Taufusi Rd, ph 777 1111
- Ipasifika, ph 24 747
- Pacific Communications, ph 22 582
- King's Cellular, Saleufi, ph 21 193 firstname.lastname@example.org
- King's Cellular, Moamoa, ph 32 636/7 email@example.com
- Lesa’s Telephone Service , ph 21 016 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michelle’s Mini Mart, ph 751 5502
- Nokia Samoa, ph 757 2104
- Pro-Com Systems, ph 24 453 email@example.com
- V & F Store, ph 750 0706
- VIP Cellphone Rentals, ph 21 415 firstname.lastname@example.org
The Samoa decimal currency is based on the Tala (dollar) and Sene (cent):
100 Sene = WS$1 (Tala). All major foreign currencies are exchangeable in Samoa for Tala (Samoan dollars).
Notes: $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100
Coins: 1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1
- Leavai Dental Surgery, Lalovaea, ph 20 172
- Moto’otua National Hospital, Moto’otua, ph 21 212
- Soonalole Dental Surgery, Alamagato, ph 21 145
Departure Tax is WS$65 (pay in cash). Children under 12 years are free.
Doctors - Locations
- Stephen Henningham Australia (685) 23 411
- Nick Hurley New Zealand (685) 21 711
- Marco Kappenberger Switzerland (685) 42 014
- Steve Rogers UK (685) 27 123 / 773 3562
- Chad J Berbert USA (685) 21 631
- Dr John Atherton, Matautu, ph 26 113
- Dr Lance Eves, Wesley Arcade, ph 20 942
- Dr Papalii Sam Petaia, Salelologa, Savaii 51 282
- Enosa & Sons Health Consultancy, Nia Mall, ph 30 234
- Le Fomai Medical Clinic, Moata’a, ph 32 196
- Malaki Medical Clinic, Saleufi, ph 26 565
- Metis Medical Clinic, Matafele, ph 30 550
- Ola Fou Clinic, Apia, ph 32 318
- Peters Medical Clinic, Pesega, ph 23 242
- Potoi Medical Clinic, Chang Wai Bldg, ph 21 652
- Tavana Nurse on Wheels, Vaivase-uta, ph 24 394/777 1571
- T Medical Group, Moto’otua, ph 26 497
Light summer clothing is appropriate all year round, with perhaps a light sweater for the cooler evenings. Smart casual evening wear is appropriate for hotels and restaurants. Visitors are requested not to wear bathing suits in Apia or in the villages. No nude or topless (for women) swimming or sunbathing. Women are recommended to wear a lavalava (sarong) or dress, rather than shorts or trousers, if they attend church.
There are at present over 300 Eftpos outlets found throughout Upolu and Savaii for easy payment, which accept the following cards – Visa, MasterCard, Cirrus, Amex, JCB & Plus Cards and Access International Debit Card.
240 volts/AC 50 cycles, but can be converted to 110 volts in most hotels. Power-points can accept three-pronged plugs as used in Australia and New Zealand.
Visitors to Samoa do not require an entry visa for stays of up to 60 days, however you must have an onward or return ticket and valid passport (six months or more). An entry visa is only required for visits longer than 60 days. Visas can be obtained from your nearest Samoa Consulate General, High Commission or Embassy. For more information, contact the Immigration Department; phone (685) 20 291 or (685) 20 292, email email@example.com or visit www.samoaimmigration.gov.ws
Health & Hospitals
A vaccination for yellow fever is required if arriving within six days of leaving or transiting infected areas.
- Tupua Tamasese Meaole II Hospital, Motootua, ph 21 212
- Maleitoa Tanumafili II Hospital, Tuasivi, ph 53 511
Upolu - Location
- Le Samoa, ph 23 827, Weekly
- Le Samoa Post, ph 28 802, Tuesday
- Newsline, ph 24 216, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday
- Samoa Observer, ph 21 099, Monday-Saturday & Sunday
- Savali, ph 26 398, Thursday
- Talamua Publisher & Media, ph 23 827, Daily (online www.talamua.com)
- Tapu Magazine, Monthly
- Apia Pharmacy, Matafele, ph 22 703
- Marias Health Care Pharmacy, Taufusi, ph 29 834
- Niu Pharmacy, Saleufi, ph 22 420
- Samoa Pharmacy, Sogi, ph 22 595
The Post Office is part of SamoaTel and is located on Beach Road in Apia. Opening hours are Monday to Friday 8.30am-4.30pm and Saturdays 8.00am-12.00pm. Stamps and Philatelic Bureau Monday to Friday 8.30am-4.30pm and Saturday 8.00am to 12.00pm. Fax 24 333.
The Post Restante office for receiving mail is located in a separate office, in the main SamoaTel office on Beach Road, behind the main lobby. If you wish to receive mail while in Samoa, have the mail addressed to you with your surname underlined and sent to the following address: Post Restante, Chief Post Office, SamoaTel, Apia, Samoa.
The main religious denominations in Samoa are Congregational, Anglican, Catholic, Methodist, Seven Day Adventist, Assembly of God, Bahai, Latter Day Saints and Jehovah’s Witness. Sundays in Samoa are dedicated to God, with families usually attending church in the mornings followed by a family to’onai (lunch) and another service in the evening. Sunday is considered a day of rest for everyone. You are welcome to attend the services. Please ask at your hotel reception for service times.
Tax is charged on accommodation, food and drinks. For details, contact Samoa Tourism Authority, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Samoa is 12 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time.
Tipping is not expected in Samoa. However, if you have received good service a small gratuity will not offend.
- Air New Zealand, ph (685) 20 825, www.airnewzealand.com
- Government of Samoa, ph (685) 24 277, www.govt.ws
- Jasons Travel Media, ph (+649) 912 8400, www.jasons.com
- Polynesian Airlines, ph (685) 21 261, www.polynesianairlines.com
- Polynesian Blue, ph (685) 28 112, www.polynesianblue.com
- Samoa Hotel Association, ph (685) 30 160, www.samoa-hotels.ws or www.samoahotel.ws
- Samoa Tourism Authority, ph (685) 63 500, www.samoa.travel
The Samoa Tourism Authority (STA) is located in the fale in front of Government Buildings on Beach Road in Apia. Open Monday to Friday, 9-5pm and Saturday morning, 8am-12pm. The information booth at Faleolo International Airport is open for all international flight arrivals into Samoa. For more information contact the Samoa Tourism Authority office Matafele, phone (685) 63 520 or (685) 63 521, Faleolo International Airport phone (685) 42 099.
Visiting yachts are required to contact the Samoa Port Authority to notify them of their ETA, at least two days prior to arriving in Apia
for immigration, customs, health and quarantine clearance. Permission must be obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Apia if you wish to sail to other islands in Samoa. For further information, contact the Samoa Port Authority, phone (685) 23 552 or fax (685) 25 870.